Saturday, February 27, 2010

Long After I'm Gone

Yesterday was the third and final financial planning class that my wife and I took through the North Clackamas Chamber of Commerce. Even though I knew a good portion of information presented in these classes, there were many minor details I did learn that will greatly help my wife and me get to a point where we can retire successfully. There were, however, two major things that I took from this class. First, that life really isn't worth living without a purpose. And Second, I need to find a way to continue having a positive affect on society long after I'm gone.

The first one is fairly simple. I'll most likely have many purposes throughout my entire career. However, the idea is to continue to find purpose into retirement. I you fail to do so, you will find yourself rotting away in front of the television set.

The second is something I never really thought much about. Most of you know that my wife and I don't ever want to have children. This means that we have to be a part of the lives of other people's children in order to leave any sort of a legacy behind after we are gone. At this moment in time we have two wonderful little nephews who get to see us at least once a week. I feel that one purpose in life for me is to play a minor role in shaping them into wonderful adults and to help them take advantage of any and all educational opportunities as they grow. By doing so, I hope they will repeat the pattern long after I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment